Day 1 : Introduction to Simple Machines
1. Pass back “Wave Properties Quiz” and go over answers
2. Take notes about simple machine using the "Intro to Simple Machines" power point. See above.
3. Go to Kalama Park for our “Simple Machine Scavenger Hunt”. A reference sheet will be given for help.
1. Simple Machine Scavenger Hunt- Please finish what we started in class for homework. See attachment for requirements.
2. Simple Machine Homework-Please see attachment above. Read and complete the worksheet. For each simple machine, explain why it is that simple machine. This can be emailed or printed and turned into class. PLEASE DON'T JUST GOOGLE THE ANSWERS.
3. You will have a short quiz on "Identifying Simple machines" next class. Study for the quiz by doing Simple Machine Homework and looking over the power point above.
4. Supplies: Please bring in plastic bottles for our project next class. Ask your parents if they would like to donate the following supplies for building simple machines: small dixie cups, rubber bands, tacky glue, pencils and wires.
Due date for homework
Hawaii: September 3rd
Niihau: September 4th
Molokai: September 4th
Kauai: September 5th
Lanai: September 5th
Absent: Please go through the "Intro to Simple Machine" power point and take notes. Also complete #2,3, and 4 under homework.
Day 2: Building a Simple Machine: archimedes screw
1. Fill out SLC form and take out "Simple Machine Homework."
2. Watch “Bill Nye-Simple Machines” video and answer in class video questions. The video is above or you can click on the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5eC1C_PDgY&list=TLy_Oga4okttQ
3. Take short "Identifying Simple Machine Quiz"
4. We will be building an Archimedes screw. Please see "Making an Archimedes screw" above. Or you have the option to build other simple machines that I will provide.
Homework: NO HOMEWORK :)
Absent: Please watch the youtube "Simple Machine" video (step #2 above) and fill out the Bill Nye video questions (attached above.) Please see me when you get back to school to take the "Identifying Simple Machine Quiz."