1. Ulu, Ohia, Kukui: Watch "Nature Conservancy Maoli No" and Koa, Hala: Discovery Channel-Hawaii like you have never seen it
Take notes on the movies
2. Year Wrap Up Assessment: On a piece of paper write down 5 things that you learned from each quarter in complete sentences. Please take your time and spend some time reflecting back on science this year.
Quarter 1: Cells
Quarter 2: Heredity
Quarter 3: Evolution
Quarter 4: Ecology
ABSENT: must complete Year wrap up assessment and turn into Ms. Molina by June 1
ANNOUNCEMENT: Wednesday, May 27th: Hala is going on the PWF boat. We will leave school at 7:50am and return at 11:30 (second lunch)
1. Read about how to sample using transects,
2. Prepare green journals for field
Title: Ecology Sampling Techniques
(Leave the rest of the 1st and 2nd page for your data collection for when you are out in the field)
1. Describe how you placed your quadrats? Why?
2. What are some pro's and con's for your method?
3. What are some sources of error?
4. Talk to at least 2 other groups. What are differences and similarities from your method?
Different sampling techniques work better in different areas. How can you use transects and/or quadrats to accurately and efficiently sample the following areas to gain the most information about the site:
a. A crater on Mars
b. A deep-sea vent
c. A parking lot
Due next class. (Assessment grade) Can be emailed or turned in
ABSENT: DO HOMEWORK ABOVE
ANNOUNCEMENT: Wednesday, May 20th: Ulu and Ohia are going on the Pacific Whale boat. We will leave school at 7:50am and be back at 11:30 (2nd lunch.)
1. Assign a section of reading to make mini skits on Maui Island History: Lessons from the Past-A Guide to the future
2. Present skits.
3. Brainstorm ways to help preserve Maui's ecosystem.
4. Go out and do a beach clean up to help our ecosystem
HOMEWORK: EXTRA CREDIT Coral Reefs around the World assignment: Oceans- Street view google maps. Using this link, write a short observation about 15 of the reef locations. Email or turn in; Due Friday, May 22nd. (3 extra credit points-class and homework)
ABSENT: Do extra credit Homework above
1. Check off "Kealia Pond Homework" in class.
2. Go around the room and share what we learned from homework.
3. Green Journal notes: TITLE: Kealia Pond Wildlife; On the first page, take observations on the wildlife. You can choose anyway to make observations (behavior, how many birds you see, where you see the wildlife, map of the pond, ect)
Second page: Summarize your thoughts about Kealia Pond and Boardwalk. 1 paragraph minimum. (learned, thoughts, importance, experience)
RULES FOR KEALIA POND:
1. All of same rules as school.
2. Stay out of the mud and PONDS! (serious consequences)
3. Stay with the group.
4. Respect the aina and ecosystem.
Kealia Pond Development-Letter to the Editor: This is an assessment grade. (Pretend that this scenario is happening) Developers from the mainland want to build a golf course on about 1/2 of the Kealia Pond refuge in 2016. Write a letter to the newspaper editor explaining your opinion on this development on Maui. Your letter must be at least 2 paragraphs long, explain energy flow in a food web at Kealia Pond, describe interactions about organisms and state 3 things for evidence to support your viewpoint. (ABSENT: Please research on own and complete this assignment)
Please turn in or email to Ms. Molina. Due next class.